Previous Posts Found Here

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cycling for Charity









Hello Family and Friends! I have been given a unique opportunity to help support the Compassionate Life Foundation/El Shaddai Ministries as well as the Race4Change organization. I will be taking part in the largest cycle race in Africa called The Cape Argus. It takes place on the morning of March 8th, 2009 and 35,000 cyclists will be participating, including myself.



I have been busy training for this event for the past several months and I need your help to finish it through to the end! 20% of the donations goes to the Race4Change fund, while 80% goes to a charity of my choice. Since I sit on the board of directors for the Compassionate Life Foundation, that is where I designate the money.



Below you will find a web link that shows you a list of "Ambassadors" for the Pick n' Pay Race4Change. (Pick n' Pay is a large grocery chain in South Africa that is sponsoring me for the event). If you scroll to the 2nd ambassador, you will find a picture of me and a small quote as to why I am participating.

https://www.race4change.co.za/pages/celebs.aspx

To all my Family and Friends in the United States...To make the conversion from Dollars to Rand (the South African Currency), here is a trustworthy website that will give you an up-to-date exchage rate for the two currencies, as you will only be able to donate in Rand:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Your dontations will help support the El Shaddai Ministries/Orphanage in Swaziland, Africa. Here is a list of the needs that will can be fulfiled with your support:

School sponsorship for community students
Food for school students (other than HFA sponsored children)
Seed for ES and community planting
The “face” of El Shaddai and fiscal agent in the United States Extended education for students (field trips, which are not covered by other sponsorships),
funds for middle/high school,
vocational / college Fund raising for expansion plans- ES2 near community high school;
High School House in South Africa

Special projects :
School sponsorship for 40 children in Manzini (largest city)
With New Covenant Church, providing pastor’s housing at new church Extensive, rapidly growing tutoring program, located at church (safe place for kids, only way for them to get extra academic help)
Food for kids in tutoring program to take home Nurse in Manzini
Wells (clean water)

I hold the people of Africa very close to my heart. Being a part of Compassionate Life Foundation has allowed me to help others in need. Won't you? Any Questions, please don't hesitate to write me at derekinafrica@gmail.com. Keep Well Everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this. Derek Van Dam

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a message if you get the chance.