Previous Posts Found Here

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Gearing Up...

I get to thinking about how technology has made this world so small these days. Unbelieveable that we live in a world like this. Its absolutely wonderful. Life is just one journey after another...it really can't get any better on this end. The last time I updated my blogsite was for my trip to Swaziland and South Africa. Well, it literally changed my life. In fact, so much that I am moving there.

I have accepted a job at E.tv (a south african news channel) as the head of their weather department.



One of their headquarters is located in the most beautiful city I could possibly imagine; Cape Town, South Africa. This is where I will reside for the next 2 years of my life. E.tv is a large independent television station in South Africa, similar to our CNN. Since their government has regulated so much of their mass communication over the past several years, there really hasn't been any real growth like the major news stations in the States...Until now. So many Africans have now seen a large demand for "westernized" television, that they have allowed E.tv to start up a 24-hour news and weather channel via satellite. When I was on vacation, I just happened to be at the right place at the right time, and met the right people to make things happen...one thing led to another, and here I am moving to South Africa in 2 months.


I have to admit...I am fairly nervous to move away. Its just so easy to get consumed in everything in the States, that leaving the confines of something you've been so familiar with for so long, is difficult to do. I am confident that everything is in God's hand and that he is leading me into something that I can handle.


For nearly the past year, I have served on a board of directors for a non-profit organization. You may remember it because it is what brought me to Africa in the first place. It is named Compassionate Life Foundation. We focus on humanitarian/mission work in Swaziland by working together with widows and orphans of AIDS victims. We provide them with medicine, shelter and places to worship (among other things). To make a long story short...I will also be working with them while in Africa and going back and forth to some hard-hit areas. It is an important step to make the personal contact needed to keep the trust between the people and the Americans.


I trust that all is well with everyone. I pray for my family and friends daily. I really value any comments or emails that people like to send my way. Feel free to e-mail at anytime. Cheers and check back soon! Here's a recent picture of a snowboarding trip I took to Northern Michigan. Not related, I know...but still fun!

Much Love!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:33 AM

    Derek,
    May God richly bless your new adventure.
    One of my favorite songs is "Here I Am Lord"---reading your story reminds me of the beautiful words of that song---when people are hurting and suffering, who will God send?
    The singer steps forward and answers the call by saying:

    "Here I am, Lord, Is it I Lord?
    I have heard you calling in the night.
    I will go, Lord, if you lead me.
    I will hold your people in my heart."

    I will pray for you in this new journey.

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:44 PM

    Hey Derek,
    Wow I just read your blog and first of all Congrats on the new job offer. You will be sadly missed but it is great what you will be doing. Hope that you don't forget about everyone back here in Michigan. You will always be the cute weather guy. May God keep you safe on your new journey!!!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a message if you get the chance.