Previous Posts Found Here

Friday, March 07, 2008

When in Rome..do as the Romans do!

Hello everyone. Just left Rome today and have made it to Madrid. Roma is a spectacular city. I have seen things I never imagnied. Florence and Venice are incredible cities. A cultural melting pot of statues and art. I saw Michalangelo´s David statue and also explored the Vatican (Roma) where the Sistine Chappel is located. I climbed to the top of St. Peter´s Basillica (The Cupola) and saw Michalangelo´s painting of God (in the Sistnie Chapel) reaching out to Humanity and also the paintnig of the last judgement. It was a very special moment in my life to see something of such significance.
Traveling this area has brought me a great peace about moving to South Africa. I have figured out major metro systems, taught myself how to navigate large cities. Thanks for checking out the blog. I will write more when I have time...the internet in other countries is much slower and much different. America is so different from the rest of the world. I can´t even begin to describe.

Derek Van Dam

2 comments:

  1. Derek,
    Let's see, you went to Swaziland....I went to Swaziland, you went to Europe.....Hmmmmmmm, looking at your pictures and reading your blog sure makes me want to go too! Gorgeous! And I am so jealous you got to see the Sistine Chapel and Michael Angelo's painting of God. Your magnitude of living life with a passion is inspiring!!! Keep blogging and sending pics so the rest of us can see Europe through your eyes!
    See you soon!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:04 PM

    Hello Derek,
    Sounds like you are having the time of your life over there in Europe. Someday I would love to have the oppertunity to see Italy and the Vatican. That had to be amazing. That is something that you will remember for the rest of your life that is for sure. I see that you are now onto Madrid. I have been to Madrid and I have to say that it is a nice city to see. I enjoyed more of the older cities in Spain then I did Madrid. I think that you would have loved places like Salamnca Spain. It is an older city and has a lot of history to it. I hope that you are really enjoying spain and the rest of Europe. I look forward to not only seeing pictures and hearing about the rest of your trip but also getting the opppertunity to work with you on fundraising for the orphange. You have not only inspired me but you have also inspired a lot of others as well. May God bless you and keep you safe on your trip. Talk to you soon.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a message if you get the chance.