Previous Posts Found Here

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Thank you!

On behalf of the many vulnerable children and families of Swaziland, we (The Compassionate Life Foundation board of directors) would like to thank you for all of your support towards the Comrades Marathon fundraising campaign!  Your contributions so far have been overwhelming! I've even had to re-adjust our financial goal because of the generous donations that have been received so far. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Please notice the fundraising "widget" on the upper right hand side of this blog to see how much has been raised and how far we still have to go. Check it regularly to see the progress. You may even want to consider "bookmarking" this page so you can follow along up to the big day (June 2nd is race day). By the way, a new financial goal has been set of  R100,000 (South African Rand) = $11,500 USD. Let's make the final push to bring this goal to a reality!

First, I would like to share a story with you. A story very close to my heart.

Meet Maria Dlamini (DOB: 9 October 2004);

July 2006; My 1st encounter with Maria. She was very sick when she arrived to El Shaddai Ministries, slightly before this picture was taken.

Maria is a very special person to me. She, along with the many other vulnerable children I've encountered in Swaziland, are my inspiration for finishing the Comrades Ultra Marathon this June. 
Maria as an infant (she is the child in the front of the mat)
Seeing Maria progress over the years has been one of the greatest pleasures of my life. I consider myself very fortunate to have been a part of her wonderful life.

July 2008; My 2nd encounter with Maria. 
July 2009; My 3rd encounter with Maria. She had progressed so much!
She had a slow start but has thrived at El Shaddai Ministries and developed a very social personality. She attends the El Shaddai Primary School where she does very well academically. Maria’s father visits a few times per year and overall she is very healthy.

January 2010; My 4th visit with Maria was very special. I could see the direct benefits of her support and care at El Shaddai Ministries.
Everyday, I realise that I am seeing a true miracle unfold right in front of my eyes. Maria has come so far and is on a path to become a hugely impactful person in this world.

2011; Maria in Grade 2 at El Shaddai Primary School.
My family and I have made a commitment to continue sponsoring Maria. My parents will get to meet her in a few weeks time. They are traveling from America to Swaziland to continue the work that is being done by The Compassionate Life Foundation. How exciting!

2013; A Beautiful, healthy child of God.  Maria is currently in Grade 3 at El Shaddai Primary School

I'm sharing this story because I want to bring a personal plea to you. Hopefully by now you can see the direct benefits of this organisations work (The Compassionate Life Foundation www.james127.org). It's projects like the "Feed-A-Family" fund or the "Child Sponsorship Program" that restore purpose and direction in the lives of so many across this impoverished area of the world.  

Please consider partnering with me on my final weeks of preparation for the Comrades Ultra Marathon. All proceeds go directly to CLF's "Feed-A-Family" fund. It can and will continue to turn around lives just as I witnessed first-hand with Maria Dlamini.

In order to feed an individual for 1 year, it costs $360 USD. Our goal is $11,500/R100,000. If we achieve those numbers, we'll provide a years worth of food to nearly 32 vulnerable people in Swaziland! Think about it. 

Here is a direct link to our donation page:

https://secure6.nm-secure.com/james127/content.cfm?id=330


God Bless!

Derek Van Dam

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a message if you get the chance.