- About 400 000 athletes have successfully run Comrades over the years
- The average runner loses between 3-4 kgs on this race.
- About 7-8% of the field achieve silver (sub 7:30) with 50% of the field finishing in the last hour
- In 2009, about 25% of the starters did not make the 12 hour cut-off and two heart attacks were reported on the day
- The up run is about 2K shorter than the down (the race's direction is alternated every year)
- The first half of the up run is a very tough uphill marathon with lots of hills, while the second is more forgiving
- Despite the relentless climbs, the up run is less painful than the down
More to come later. Cheers everyone. Thanks for your support